Did you apply for a new passport online? So you should now know how to check passport application status online in India. With the implementation of technology it is very easy to check passport application status online 2018.
You can track your passport application status by log-in to Passport India website or by SMS alert in your mobile phone as well. In this article I will share the steps to follow to track passport application status with many other useful information related to this.
- How to Check Passport Application Status Online in India
- Indian Passport Application Status FAQ
How to Check Passport Application Status Online in India
1. First of all check the receipt copy that you have for the proof of your passport application and find out the file number. You need this number mandatory to check your passport status. If you are thinking how to check passport status online without file number, then you need to know that, it’s not possible.
2. Then visit the Passport India website.
3. Now Select the Application Type as Passport/PCC/IC.
4. Put the File Number that you have collected.
5. Next your date of birth.
Check Passport Application Status via SMS
You can even subscribe for SMS alert to your registered mobile number provided during fresh passport application. But this is a premium service, means you have to pay some amount for that to enable it. To do that you have to tick the ‘SMS Services’ option while filling the online passport application form. On your appointment day pay Rs 30.00 in cash at PSK. Now you can track every movement of your passport application status via SMS.
You can even ask for status by sending an SMS to 9704100100 in the format ‘<< STATUS >><< SPACE >><< File Number >>’, for example, STATUS BNG071268435013. You can talk to PSK helpline to know more about this ‘SMS Services’.
Indian Passport Application Status FAQ
1) Passport has been “Dispatched/ Delivered”, but not received
Whenever Passport India mailed your passport via India post they have updated the status in system which you get immediately. But in reality it will take time to reach you by courier. You can simply use the tracking no and check India post website for the updated status.
2) Can I collect the passport directly?
If you have a genuine reason then you can write an application explaining the reason and submit to RPO. They may consider your request after validating from their end.
3) Passport status shows police verification pending even though its done.
Police verification may be done physically from your end. But till police returns back the file to RPO, the next status will not update. In that case you can enquire to your nearest police station and find out what is still pending.
4) Can my wife get my passport on behalf of me?
Yes. But for that you have to provide your identity card and enough proof so that postman can deliver it to her.
You can also check more passport application FAQ for other queries related to your passport application process.
So did you check your passport application status via SMS? If so then please share your experience and how much useful that extra payment of Rs 30.00 over the normal online passport application status tracking.