How to Withdraw Employee Provident Fund (EPF)

Are you looking for how to withdraw employee provident fund money kept with your last employer?

Do you know the rules related to EPF withdrawal in India? Do you know the EPF withdrawal tax rules?

I will answer all these questions, as I have withdrawn my EPF balance twice in my career so far. And I think my experience will be useful for many readers of this blog.

Basic EPF Withdrawal rules

Before proceeding further I think one should know few basic EPF withdrawal rules after resignation.

• One can’t apply for EPF amount withdrawal during service. When you leave a company, at that time only you will be able to withdraw EPF balance.
  • One can’t apply for EPF balance immediately after resigning the company. There is a waiting period of 2 months. After that only you can go for EPF withdrawal.
  • If you withdraw EPF money before completing 5 year, then the amount is taxable.
  • One can’t apply for EPF withdrawal online. You have to go via your previous employer only.
  • Recently with the introduction of UAN (Universal Account Number), the EPF transfer process is going to be very easy. And very soon we may expect a procedure to withdraw EPF online also.

Employee Provident Fund Withdrawal Procedure

The EPF withdrawal procedure will completely depend up on how co-operative your previous employer is. If they have a proper process then you will get the money quickly. Or else you may have to face some difficulty.

In fact for few organizations, there is a dedicated EPF Body, which handles the entire work. In that case also the whole process completes very fast. But if your employer doesn’t support you, your EPF withdrawal process becomes really difficult.

Let’s check out the common steps & procedure to withdraw EPF amount in India.

1) Make sure that before leaving the company, you have taken all necessary contacts and documents needed for EPF withdrawal. As you have to wait up to 45-60 days after leaving the company before applying for EPF money.

Next, download or collect the EPF withdrawal form – form 19 & form 10c. You may collect these forms from your company portal. Otherwise visit EPFO website to download them.

2) Fill the 2 forms carefully; provide every mandatory information like EPF account number, your name, address, mobile number and bank account number (Nationalized Bank) where you are expecting the money. Previously EPF department used to send cheques only, but now one can get the money in his/her bank account by NEFT transaction also.

Tip: Do not take this form lightly. When I have applied for the first time, the application got rejected due to small mistake and it came back to me again. Due to that I had to re-apply EFP withdrawal and entire process took more than 7 month to get the money.

Don’t Miss File your IT return this year with efiling service providers online

There will be another form along with them where you will authorize them to deposit the amount on behalf of you in your bank account. As the money will be sanctioned as a cheque and then deposited in your account. So be careful while filling that form as well.

3) Next step is, take xerox copy of the filled forms set, to keep with you for future proof. Then send the forms to previous employer office or PF office as instructed by your previous employer. Every company has its own procedure to deal with it. Some company have their own PF trust offices where you can send them directly, otherwise companies will collect all these documents from you and then verify from their end and finally submit them to EPF India office on behalf of you.

4) After submission of these forms you are actually done with your part. You can always communicate with the PF body of your previous company, where you have mailed the filled up forms. Check your EPF withdrawal status every 2-3 weeks, if it takes time to get your EPF money.

How much time it takes to withdraw EPF?

5) As soon as they receive the form, their internal team will verify the details and submit to EPF department of India. After that your previous company’s responsibility is done. In case any issue, you have to contact to direct PF office only.

I have received the EPF money very quickly when I applied for the 2nd time. It took hardly 2 month to receive the money. So things are improving. :)

Should I withdraw my EPF Amount?

There are many advices regarding this question, but I believe if you have continued your EPF account for more than 5 years and changing the company then it is better to withdraw the money. You can withdraw the balance and then put in your own PPF account or invest in better product like mutual fund. The reason I said this is, it is always better to control your money on your own rather than depending on others.

Anyway, it is my thought and not necessary that everyone should agree with that. I would love to know more from the readers of this blog, EPF withdrawal or transfer account – which one is better. Visit official EPFO website to know your EPF Balance, latest changes in EPF rules and many useful how to guides.

Free email Newsletter

Comments

1. Srivathsan S says

I applied PF withdrawal for my wife before 2-3 months. It went to the employer and they say that it has been sent to PF office
    I haven’t received anything as of now and also, when i try to check the epf claim status, looks like the link is broken and not working anymore. I believe the process has become more clumsy now
    Please advise what can be done now

2. Nimisha says

I have recently filed for PF withdrawal through the employer as I have resigned. 2 weeks back I converted my bank account to joint account with my brother. The employer PF help desk suggested that I submit old cancelled cheque containing only my name. Now my concern is will the bank reject the payment as it will be transferred on my name and the bank account holds two names? Please help me out as I am really worried.

3. Tarandeep Singh says

Just to highlight…PF Office asks for account in single holders name. So if you have a joint account lets say with your wife and want the money to go to that one, its not possible…

4. Praveen says

Hi,
    Pls clear this doubt… should I submit withdrawal forms in all 3 companies that’s have worked for or the last company submission is enough?
    It’s the same pan number but I don’t know if it’s the same pf numbers.

By the way after we get sms saying that withdrawal approved and sent for cheque preparatio, how many more days are needed?
    Thanks in advance
    Praveen.

5. says

sir I was worked for my last company only five months I didn’t given any resignation letter
    without any information I left that company please let me know how to draw my pf money
    but I went to previous company they or not ready to sign in my resign form please let me know how to draw my pf money its is usefull for my education

6. pRAT says

Hey Santanu,
    Great Article.
    I have dilemma.I left an organization 5 years back and didnt withdraw my PF then.Last 5 years twice i submitted the pf form but my last employer was not very supportive.In last 5 years many employees have moved on and i dont have any relationship with my ex-employer. How can i withdraw my pf money.I am based out of Bangalore and the company’s pf office is in Delhi

Regards
    Prat

7. Pradhikshan says

Hi Santanu,

Thanks for sharing the information. I left my previous company 2 months back(where I had served only for 6 months and before that I was with another company for 4 years and 7 months and I had transferred the PF amount to my previous company) .
    Now I wish to withdraw the PF amount. I would like to know if the TDS is nil only if the PF account from which I wish to withdraw is maintained for more than 5 years or if the total years I ve been in the EPF scheme is more than 5 years.

8. Priya says

Hi Santanu,

Quite informative site, thanks. I was laid off 3 months ago, and currently still searching for a job, I am planning to take a break for couple of years and withdraw my PF. I was working in the last organization for 2.6 years which holds my current EPF account. I had my previous organization account where I worked for 3.5 years transferred in this account, so total years of service is more than 5 years. But there was a gap in employment for around 2 years i.e. in my current EPF account there was no PF contribution for around 2 years since I was unemployed. Do you know if I withdraw will the amount be taxable? Or if I withdraw it after 5 years will it taxable.

Thanks.

• Bala says

Hi, I am in the same boat. I had worked for a company for 7 years and resigned. Joined another company and transferred that amount to a new account in the new company. I had worked in the new company for 4.6 years. Though my last company tenure is less than 5 years my overall tenure is 12 years. Should i still have to submit form 15G inorder to avoid taxes?

Please clarify.

9. Manu says

Hello,

I worked in a company for 4 years approx, and then joined company last year in September. in September 2016 i will be completing 5 years.
    after September Can I withdraw whole amount from my older pf account going through via previous employer? will it be tax free because i will be completing 5 years of period .
    Please reply, thank you!!

10. bharat lal says

I m working in current as a lecturer from 2003 to at present.i need money for buy a plot .can i withdraw my EPF.if its time abov 11 years.i m working same school at present

Hi Bharat,

I think you are eligible for partial withdrawal. It would be better if you could discuss your requirement with your school’s finance or the department who handle such queries.

• Suresh says

Hi Santanu,

Fistly thank you for your help on this blog.

I have left my 1st job in an year’s time. However, I haven’t kept those payslips safe enough to track my PF. But I still have a contact in the firm, do you think they will provide the info?

And when I shifted to my 2nd job it is a new PF account again but I have work for 5.5 years in my 2nd.

I have shifted now to my 3rd & again did not transfer the PF account.

I want to go for a withdrawl now, what do you suggest how I should proceed?

Appreciate your help mate,

tks

11. Satya says

Hi Santhanu,

In my previous company, they started deducting the PF amount since November 2010. I have changed the company recently i.e on June 2015 and up-to June PF amount has been deposited.Now i wanted to withdraw my PF amount. so, should i need to wait for this Nov – 2015 to escape from the tax? or if i withdraw amount after Nov -15 also is it taxable?.

My another question is – i have downloaded the passbook. i see there are 3 sections where the PF is divided(Employee Share,Employer Share and Pension Contribution). So, do we can withdraw all the amount which were divided in passbook?

Please help me on this?

Regards,
    Satya

12. Kumar Gaurav Rajvaidhya says

Dear Santanu,

I received the message from PF office Jan 2015, stating that my claim is approved and is under process. But till date I did not received any money. Also no further message received. I have sent a mail to PF office but no reply. Can you suggest what should be the next step.

Regards

Gaurav

Hi Kumar,

Till how many day you are waiting after getting the message? It should not take much time as money should be deposited in your account automatically.

13. sanjeev says

In addition to all the above comment, for withdrawing the PF amount, my earlier employer asked me to fill the Form 15G along with form 19 and 10 c as well.Also, need to submit the photo copy of your PAN CARD.

14. Indranil says

Sir,
    At first thanks for giving valuable information on PF withdrawl. I have a question that when I see my PF balance in EPFO website it will not show the current status of balance, if I see today it shows till May 2014. Why EPFO department not updating there records? Please suggest me how can I see my current pf balance.

15. Mahendiran says

Dear Santanu,

I was working in a company for 8.5 years. I resigned 6 months (Nov 2014) back; i filled the form and given to them. The previous employer has not paid the last two months PF till (before i leave the organization – that is September 2014 & October 2014).

I facing lot of problems; I am sending mails and so many follow ups, they are not even replying the mails. How do we proceed to get the EPF money in this case?

Kindly give the solution.

Thanks

Hi Mahendra,

Do you have universal account number? I think in that case you can track your remaining EPF balance not paid yet and transfer them to your new account. Although I am not sure about this.

16. Later says

I am reading news these days that the bJp govt. has ban the complete with draw of PF or EPF up till age 60? can some one put some light on this pls.

17. johny garg says

I have resigned my company serving less than 5 years, I just want to know that if i withdraw my EPF, whether the TDS will be deducted or nor, If deducted, how much %,Secondly what can i do so that No TDS is deducted.

18. satishsyal says

i have resigned from my on 13 November 2014. and now i want to withdraw my PF amount. but my previous employer is asking for a copy of my UAN card where K.Y.C should be as yes, is it really required for the process .

19. karan says

hi All,

kindly be informed that now the PF withdraw process has become even much faster.

once you submit your application form, you can now expect to get your PF in your account anywhere between 3 to 12 days max 😉

20. shah says

Hi
    Many thanks for the information’s. I resigned from previous company on 12 December 2014. On that day itself I filled and submitted my PF form along with ECS certificate of bank. I only filed my personal details, sign and bank account number as instructed by them. They said they will fill the balance (date and other details) and it will submit after 60 days from resignation. Now I am working abroad. Not yet received the claim. I have emailed and called the previous employer several times. They said they submitted it on March. I checked the status of PF claim thorough online portal. It shows no record found…may be because of EPFO not yet received or taken for processing the request. Again I mailed to previous employer to know the reason for delay. They are not responding

One of my friends resigned from the same company on December 29, 2014 and submitted PF claim request after me. He got his claim amount on 16th April 2014.

How can I know the reason for the delay in my claim?

And also how can I know is this previous employer submitted it or not?

If they submitted what will be the next procedure? And what to do from my side?
    Kindly advice

Hi Shah,

I think many people are facing the same issue. Previous employer have to file your application first to EPFO, then only you can track your application status on EPFO online. Try to get the information form your previous employer, if possible send someone to visit your previous employer and try to get the current status of your EPF withdrawal application.

21. Rahul says

Hi Santanu,

I was working in an organisation for 1.2 yrs,but now might be that organisation is closed as i am unable to contact them.How can i withdraw my pf amount bypassing that employer.Please help me.

22. vasil says

Sir,
    I have worked almost 2 year in a company
    and they started to deduct pf from my salary which was 8000 till oct 2014, after that it was 9000. from sep 2014 they started to deduct till i resign which is march 7. but after i submit my details to pf department i only got 4692 rupees only ? why is it so ? currently im working abroad, please help me

Hi Vasil,

Did you check your PF balance before asking for withdrawal? You can check your EPF balance online easily these days and accordingly try to find out what is the reason.

23. Parthi says

Hi Santanu,

I do not have my PF #. While I was working in an organization in Bangalore. I was in deputation under Mafai consultancy. Since consultancy head office in Chennai, they have deposited in chennai Branch. Is there any possible way to track. I used to get hard copies of salary slip in 2006.

24. Vaibhav Gajjar says

Hi Santanu your blog is very informative for me. I’m facing the same problem.
    It’s completely 3 months that I left my previous company but still I’m not getting my claimed money. I’m working in another company now.

I also contacted my prev company’s PF accountant but he says that my application letter is not updated yet. It’s very cumbersome and tedious Santanu.

So please Santanu, suggest me what actions to take, what to do?!!!!!!

Hi Vaibhav,

Did your previous employer file your withdrawal application to EPFO? If they are done, then you should get your money by this time. Ask them clearly and find out what is the reason for this delay.

• Vaibhav Gajjar says

Hi Manidipa,

I contacted my previous employer. The employer said that my withdrawal application is file to EPFO and it’s pending to be processed. He also said that it’s not predictable that how much time it takes to get my claimed amount as EPFO is currently busy in the process of UAN system.

I’m tired of this Manidipa. :(

And it seems to me that the employer is lazy / delaying / not paying enough attention to it.

Very bad exp :-(

Hi Vaibhav,
          This is really sad as after employer submission to EPFO, they will not be responsible further. If you can then try to communicate to EPFO with your application. It might be frustrated, but all of them are your hard earned money only, can’t accept the fact. :)

• Vaibhav Gajjar says

I have talked to my employer on phone about 3 times and met 2 times face to face. Every time my employer says that the EPF firm is currently busy a lot in UAN process that is introduced recently. So it’s still hard to tell the time when I get my claimed amount. Really I have all these.

Hi Rohit,
      As UAN number is new concept, I am not sure about that. But I think one can withdraw EPF money by providing UAN no. in future, as this will be the only unique number to identify your PF account.

25. Chetan says

Hello sir,

My application got rejected because my account number differs from the actual one . (account number was mentioned wrongly in the form )

So what is the next procedure now ? Should i fill another form and submit it to my ex employer ?? or else i can submit the same form again ?

Hi Chetan,

Fill the form again with correct account number and send the form again. Read the rejection letter carefully and take necessary actions.
      Don’t worry, it happened to me also. Just take time, but you will get your money soon. :)

• Chetan says

Thank you sir for your valuable response.

In rejection letter it is mentioned as –

“account number differs & please contact ex employer , – any overwritings must be attested by employer”

Shoud i fill another new form or i have to edit the rejected form itself by attestation ???

• Chetan says

Thank you sir!

Regarding my re submission of form. Do i need to submit any other form except form10 & form19 ???

Please Reply soon

• says

No, I think these are the only 2 form you have to submit.
            By the why why your previous application has been rejected? Check the letter carefully and fill the form properly this time and also check whether they have mentioned about anything extra beyond these 2 forms.

26. D.SELVAKUMAR says

Hi Santanu,

Like to appreciate for sharing your experience in this blog.

I have few questions to ask regarding how to claim my PF amount.

I would like to resign my job since i have some issues in my salary increment for couple of years.

I want to claim my PF amount since i have planned to resolve my loans using this amount.

I am not aware of the new rule but previously employees informed that i will get my PF amount after 45 days of resigning my job where my organization will itself take care of this and provide the final settlement amount.

Could you please clearly explain me that how many days it will take to claim my PF amount and what is the procedure to claim my PF amount?

Can i also transfer my PF account to the newly joint company if i get an offer?

If I am working in other concern and after that i can claim my PF amount of the previous organization?

My PF has been deducted for Past 3 year and 11 months(47 months).

Please advise.

Appreciate your explanation to the above questions.

Thanks for helping to other peoples as well,
    Selvakumar.

Hi Nithin,

Thanks for your comment.
      No one is misleading here, this information for those who want to withdraw and they should withdraw. People can have different views on that.
      Recently Govt has disclosed the amount pending in provident fund which people didn’t even withdraw or transfer.
      Instead of sitting that money idle there why not take it out and put in a long term mutual fund? Anyway, it’s individuals choice how he/she want to continue any investment. :)

Anyway, an article related to how to transfer EPF amount is also in progress. :)

Hi Avi,

Where did you apply? means via your previous employer or directly to PPF office? Find out that status and then communicate to the corresponding department by email or calling.

27. sam says

I have left my company and dont think i can get any support from them so that i withdraw my money.

any way out where in i do not have to contact them.

i have huge money in my PF account.

Hi Sam,

I think you can take help of consumer forum or some legal help to get this matter resolve. Although I am not sure, but how come your old company stop you to get your EPF money?
      I will try to find out what are the ways to come out of this situation and update you. :)

28. azam says

Hi bro.I have send my pf documents to Maharashtra kandivali pf office one month back. How many days to get the money .and minimum how many months of work experience required to claim our pf….

Hi Azam,

So far I have withdraw EPF money 2 times at the time of quitting previous companies. First time it took around 6 month, but this time it took less than 2 months after submission of my EPF forms properly.
      Actually first time due to some incomplete information, EPF application got rejected and it returned back to me.

29. Parveen kumar says

Hi, I am working in current company for 4 years and 8 months, I need money , how to withdraw pf money. Can u help me. It’s my brother marriage. In April. Plz help me and guide me. Thx

Hi Praveen,

I think you can contact your company’s respective department and ask them. They will help you to do that.
      But, you could wait for few more months as after 5 year, the entire amount will be tax free. Else you have to pay income tax.

30. Gov says

Hi, i am working under the same company from last 5.2 years. Can I withdraw of amount deposited by this company??

Thanks.

Hi Gov,

Why do you want to withdraw the EPF amount? I hope you know that you have to provide a genuine reason like Education or marriage, Medical treatment, Purchase of plot, Repayment of home loan, Pre-retirement etc. Its better to contact your employer for more details about the procedure.

31. bhavesh says

Hi As i joined a new organisation and i wish to withdraw my PF from my previous organisation.
    They have the company policy like after you will get the F&F then only you can cliam the PF withdrawl process.

But My question as below,

1. Is the Nationalised Bank A/c compulsory as i don’t have the
    2.And my previos organisation have 2 option either you can directly submitt the PF Form or via company but as i knew from old employee that they are taking too much time to complete the procedure if you are submiting to the company consultant & if i go manually also they are taking too much time to put the employer stamp on the form & we need to contineous follow up with them.

Plz guid me on above if any is having the idea

Hi Rajani,

Now a days process have improved, as per my experience in 1-2 months max you should get the amount in your bank account if submitted to PPF department from your employer successfully.