Indian passport application process has come across a long way since I was applying for a fresh passport in India for myself on 2004.
Lot of things has changed except the attitude of the people. Even I found, that also has changed a bit at the time of reissue of passport online application before expiry. During every visit to Indian passport office Kolkata I have learnt many things and cleared many doubts by asking brokers who do their business outside PSK office. In this article I will document all such questions mostly asked by people while going through online Indian passport application process.
Note: As per the new passport application process, offline applications are not allowed. Means you have to apply passport via online portal only.
- Indian Passport Application Process Online Questions & Answers
- 1. Online passport application documents requirements.
- 2. Is there any specific time to book for the appointment?
- 3. Any tricks to book passport appointments date online?
- 4. Which police station will do my address verification?
- 5. Why I am getting “Appointment exceeded for the day”?
- 6. Can I walk-in to PSK and ask for an appointment?
- 7. Me & My Wife has different address in passport, how to apply for my kid (minor)?
- 8. Is police verification required for passport of minor? How many days it takes to get passport after police verification?
- 9. Can someone Walk-In to a PSK with a valid ARN?
- 11. Maximum number of attempts exceeded for booking an appointment at the passport office?
- 12. How to pay passport application fee? Can I pay passport application fee offline and book an appointment?
- 13. I cancelled my appointment. So how many days are left for me to schedule my appointment?
- 14. An active appointment already exists
- 15. Can I take the passport appointment for family?
- Want to check all Indian passport application guide in one place?
Indian Passport Application Process Online Questions & Answers
Most people get confused with the documents required, where to apply, various messages they got during handling online passport portal etc. The internet has made our life very easy but if you don’t understand the process and their proper meaning, then you can feel internet is a curse. Even initially I have visited passport office to query a lot of questions & procedure for applying passport online. You can do the same now by giving a phone call to passport helpline numbers. Anyway let’s start the Questions with valid answers for them.
1. Online passport application documents requirements.
Simply visit Passport India website and check document adviser tool.
2. Is there any specific time to book for the appointment?
You can check the time slot to book an appointment online in the passport.gov.in website. Accordingly you have to login with your user data in that portal. E.g. some state may have online appoint time from afternoon 4 PM onward but for some it might be 3 PM onward.
3. Any tricks to book passport appointments date online?
You can check the previous article on how to get passport appointment online – tips & tricks. But frankly speaking there is only one way to book a passport appointmentdate online, which is luck + high-speed internet. If you are ready to spend some money then hire a broker sitting outside the PSK. Provide them your login details and Rs 500. They will book an appointment for you. But think twice as providing such confidential data may not be good in all the case. I knew one of such guy personally, so choose that path only.
4. Which police station will do my address verification?
5. Why I am getting “Appointment exceeded for the day”?
Every PSK has fixed no. of slots to book. Once that quota is consumed by people everyone will get this message. In case you get that message, you should try every 15-20 minutes after that. Because when someone books a slot he/she has to proceed with the payment to confirm the slot. If the payment does not happen within 10 minute that slot will be open again. In such a scenario you may get in the next try.
6. Can I walk-in to PSK and ask for an appointment?
If you are applying for a fresh passport then answer would be NO, even for Tatkal also. Only you can take your minor passport appointment by visiting a PSK. I heard from couple of people that if you visit Regional passport offices and able to justify your point to not having an online appointment then you may get the minor passport without appointment. But this is not a full proof way as visiting a passport office may kill your entire day and we all know the value of a week day.
7. Me & My Wife has different address in passport, how to apply for my kid (minor)?
To make your kid’s passport application hassle free you should change anyone of your passport address and make it similar. Also check & update spouse name if require.
If both or one of the parent’s passport has spouse name mention, then not require. For my kid we applied with my wife’s passport and we got the passport after 7 day of application. That day I realized that technology has changed the Indian passport application process in a better way.
9. Can someone Walk-In to a PSK with a valid ARN?
Yes. After online application you have to take the ARN and if you are any one of the below criteria then you can walk-in your nearest PSK
- Senior Citizens of age 60 years & above.
- Minor Applicants below 15 years of age, provided both parents have valid passports.
- Minor Applicants below 15 years of age, provided both parents have valid passports, and one parent is abroad and has issued Embassy / Consulate certified No Objection Certificate (NOC) to the other parent to apply.
- ->Minor Applicants below 15 years of age, provided both parents do not have passports, but have given No Objection Certificate (NOC).
10. Which address to provide as I have travelled couple of places in last few year?
11. Maximum number of attempts exceeded for booking an appointment at the passport office?
Again it’s like you have tried many times on a single day but not able to book a slot. You can try again later. Or else talk to passport helpline. In case every day you are getting the same message then visit the PSK and request for offline
Yes, you can. On the payment page you can find 2 options: Online Payment and via bank challan. If you select 2nd option then you can generate the challan by clicking the specific button. Take the print out and pay the amount in Bank. Bank will take part of the Challan and rest provide you back. This challan will have your ARN details so before you visit PSK they will update payment data against your application.
13. I cancelled my appointment. So how many days are left for me to schedule my appointment?
As per the new system one will get 2 chances to reschedule a valid cancelled booking. Here from the date of first booing till one year one can reschedule an appointment 2 times.
14. An active appointment already exists
15. Can I take the passport appointment for family?
No. With user log in at a time you can fill up one application form only. In case you have multiple system you can log in there are fill up application for other member. But there is no guarantee that all these application will be able to book appointment on the same date so if you have a big fad time.
Want to check all Indian passport application guide in one place?
You can check all the Indian passport FAQ to resolve any passport related problems in India.
By looking at the article you may think that Indian passport application process is difficult to understand. But with the implementation of new system it has been simplified further. It could have been improved far better by including police verification process also computerized and linked with aadhaar card. Anyway I hope my effort will help you get your passport application process questions answered.
Hope this will help you to understand the Indian passport application process. Feel free to ask or add more such cases with proper experience to enhance this article further. Or ask your question here by putting a comment, I will try to collect the answer and update this article to make it more useful. Thanks for reading!