Top 5 Home Based Business an Indian Housewife Can Start Easily

Looking for best home based business for housewives?

Gone are the days when a woman only used to look after the kids & home. Due to internet evolution now there are many business ideas for homemakers as well.

Today’s women are multitasking. They can take care of their kids, home & as well as make money by setting up a small business from their home itself. After marriage, many women have to leave their well settled job. Most of the time it is due to family responsibility. But now women are more active and continue their work or business just from home only. In this article I will share few small business ideas for Indian housewives which can be easily established at home and run successfully.

If you are a housewife and have passion and time to spend for your dream of earning, then you can always start an in-house business by your own. Let’s check out such awesome 5 business options for housewife or homemaker.

best home based business for housewives

source : pixabay.com

Best home based business for housewives

1) Teaching or Tutoring:

If you have been a good student in any subject in your school days or college days, then you can continue your passion by providing home based tuition. You might also be an expert in singing, dancing, drawing etc. You can start your own class in off time. If you are residing in a housing/colony, then the business opportunities will be huge. Many families stay in the same surrounding. So your tuition class might provide relief for many parents, as they don’t have to search a class outside their colony. You can even conduct classes at student’s home at any time, as it’s in your colony only. Besides that, you can also provide online training, if you are very familiar with the internet world. Online training is very popular in countries like USA. Many people hire teachers from India, who teach students of USA via some software.

Don’t Miss How to make money by uploading videos in YouTube?

2) Start a Beauty Parlor:

Every woman has their own budget for cosmetics. So starting a beauty parlor is the most profitable business these days. But for that you should have enough knowledge & hands on expertise. You can do a beauty course of 2-3 months and then start. In this business you need a good capital. But the business potential is huge. You can operate this form your home and also visit your clients home to provide your service. You can easily spread about your parlor or saloon in your colony. Gradually business will grow.

3) Stitching Clothes:

Indian women are very much fond of tailor made & customized dresses. Though ready-made dresses are available in market, but most women prefer to wear a custom cloth made by a tailor. Many women prefer some design changes and many redesign the dress to have a perfect fit. So if you are well versed in this area, then there is a huge business opportunity. Just think about it, in your colony every housewife is looking for a tailor who can assist them in making, redesigning dress. In such scenario if you can provide this service from your home itself, then you can definitely grow faster.

Don’t Miss How to be an insurance agent make money by commission?

4) Starting a Recruitment Consultancy:

If you are from an IT job background, then you might be definitely aware of the potential of this field. Every company is looking for many resources every day. And in this scenario recruitment firms take that headache and help that company for head hunting. You can easily start a recruitment firm if you have a good skill in people networking.

5) Cooking & Catering Service:

In the much praised bollywood movie “English Vinglish”, we have seen how actress Sridevi operates her laddu business from home. If you love cooking, you can easily start a small scale business from home itself. Might be you can start providing office lunch box service, or make some special dish and sell them. You can also work with some catering services as a freelance cook, as work with them monthly 4-5 times. Obviously if you have capital and plan you can grow your business beyond anyone can expect. You can start your own catering service; start a small Tiffin house etc. But definitely you can find out some small scale business ideas of your choice.

Don’t Miss How to make money online by Blogging?

This is not the end of opportunities; there are more such small business ideas for housewives in India that one can start from home and make decent money. As a housewife or homemaker one should feel fortunate as they have the option to be their own boss by starting a business operating at their free time. Although the path is not that simple, but it is not impossible. If you like our efforts kindly share this article with your friends. Thanks for reading.

Free email Newsletter

Comments

1. shweta says

Hi Sir,
    I want to start a small online business of handicrafts /daily usable items. Please guide me how to start from scratch with less investment.
    Thanks

Hi Sweta,

I think starting a Handicraft business would be a great idea. But to start with I believe first of all you should find out a vendor who can deliver products as per your need with quality. If you have that, then rest is very simple.
      Create a website to list your handicraft products online and start promoting your website for traffic.

2. kinjal says

Hello santanu ,
    I am a housewife..and am thinking of opening a business from home itself. now firstly I hav no idea of what I can plan for..it would be a great favour if u can guide me with same..but in less cost..!!

Reply awaited!!

Hi Kinjal,

I think first of all you have to think what you are capable to start and operate from home. E.g. if you can start a online grocery store from home and supply in your locality first. Or anything in food business.
      Let me know what are your plans, so that we can discuss in detail about that. :)

3. Vidya says

HI Santanu,

First of all thank you for this wonderful website and thanks for all your valuable tips on starting home based business. I am a working lady. My sister-in-law who is a home maker and I would start our home based women clothing business. We would like to contact wholesalers and manufacturers to carry on our business. We would be selling these clothes through our contacts. We need your guidance in the following

1. Do we need any kind of license?
    2. What terms of buying from wholesalers would be beneficial? I mean credit or cash..

Looking forward to your valuable help.

Vidya B

Hi Vidya,

Although I am not expert to answer your queries, but I think you have to register your business or online website to start this business. And regarding whole sell trading terms, there should be some agreement and i think you have to make an initial inventory first by paying cash. Or you may go for some loan also, I hope you are aware about the pm mudra bank scheme.

4. Jyoti says

Hi Santanu..
    I want to start my own business without investing money. I had done my b.com, and doing accounting job in a firm last 8 years.
    Please suggest what I do?

• says

What business you want to start? And without money how will you start something? :)
      If you want to start a Free blog and write about your knowledge about finance, then it may not require any money. But as soon as you realize the potential about blogging & writing, you have to invest money to be professional. :)

5. Teena Jacob says

I am thinking about starting a photocopy shop at my home. Since it is near to the Panchayat office and the bus stop , it would be a good option as there are no Xerox shops nearby. I am thinking of buying a brand new machine (something like the Xerox Workcenter 7835). what do you think are the pros and cons of this option?

• says

I don’t think there is any con for any new business idea, until you try it. :) Is the post office big in size? Means how much busy it is?

This is a really great idea and putting a xerox machine will really do the trick here. If you are ready then I think you should start immediately, unless someother xerox machine set up nearby.

6. minnie says

I want to start a small catering buisness from home. Like I want to provide food for small gatherings and functions or parties(upto 50 people).
    Do I need any trade license or registration for this?

7. gopakumar says

My wife is very much interested to learn Stitching Clothes. Give me your valuable guidence and video clip if any

8. Saroj says

Hello Santanu,
    My warm regards to u ,I want to start school uniform business , pls can u suggest me. How to start, how to get orders because I have done my fashion designing so I have my tailors and work shop also but how to get orders from school .

Hi Saroj,

As per my understanding, I think better you first try to contact few schools and get their contract, instead of starting a general school uniform business. Recently I have been through admission process for my kid in DPS school. I found that the school dresses are collected from a vendor who is running this business from his home only. He is supplying all clothes for that school. I found that really awesome.

If you can find some contract like this, then just imagine how much stress you will face. You don’t need to look for customers, they will find you and buy school dress from your shop. Think about that model, before trying else.

I hope this is useful. :) Let me know you further experiences & how you are able to start your business.

9. V.Poorani says

I am a staff nurse.I have one school going kid at home.I have some health issues so i can’t go out and earn money.Please guide me to earn money at home itself.(I know tailoring ,vegetarian cooking,know to teach upto 5th std students)

10. kanika sharma says

hi shantanu

Well i want to do something related to greens means plants…i love plant i hv seen lot of people doing it but dont know how is it possible to start from home ….my background is computers…or something related to Indian culture…or can u suggest some franchise option which can be started from home..

11. barnali das says

Hi,

I want to know online data entry jobs are feasible or not i mean before staring i have pay joining fees so i use to check out some of the sites but in fear of wasting my money in some false sites i have not registered in any such sites.can u plz recommend any online data entry site???

Hi Barnali,

I really don’t have any idea about online data entry jobs. Personally whatever I have tried before, all were scams who asked some money to join and later its all the same story.
      If you are really looking to make some passive income, then better to start blogging on your interested area. If blogging is new for you, then try to know more about blogging first. :)

12. kavitha says

I am house wife with 2 school going children’s. I finished degree dietetics course .I want to do home made business to earn money .please give ideas for me

Hi Kavitha,

That’s great, you have done a degree in dietetics course. Why don’t you start a blog sharing your thoughts & tips on diet habit, health habit? Blogging is not at all hobby these days, its a proven career option and even better than any full time job.
      Don’t stress too much on business, if you don’t have any specific plan or else you can keep a blog running besides your regular business also. Its pretty simple.
      Let me know if I can help you in anyway, to set up a blog. :)

13. Sravani says

Hi Santanu,

I am a working woman. I would like to start a small business at home. I planned for a computerized embroidery designing for sarees and dresses but i have not done any fashion designing course for better ideas. I would be glad if you can suggest me some tips in this matter.

Also, can you suggest me the following details.

1. Cost of the machine.
    2. Minimum investment for the business.
    3. Fabric types, etc.

Hi Sravani,

As per my knowledge, I think these days many women are pursuing the same business. And in market also, you may find many companies selling various creations in affordable prices.
      But, there is a demand of hand-made dresses in our society, which you could encash. But again I think you should have proper knowledge to stand out unique.
      Why don’t you join some fashion designing course? This will help you to prepare you business model and also let you know how much you have to spend.

Good luck. :)

14. P,lavanya says

Hello sir,I don’t no any ideas for home jobs,but I want earn money.I dont no what I know,I compleat my degree,very dull student,how can I manage in fast going people,

Hi Lavanya,
      Don’t compare with peer group and set your target. You have to find out what you can do. There is no point of dreaming of something which you can’t able to achieve, but may be easy for others.
      I would say, try to read more blogs about how to make money online, as there are many options these days.
      Good luck. :)

15. Priya Vinoth says

Hi Santanu,

I am interested on online share trading. Need your advice for my below questions.

1, How should I plan?
    2, What will be my maximum investment?
    3, Is my choice is correct?

Hi Priya,

This question can’t be answered so easily. You have to share more information like
      1) What is your current profession
      2) how much knowledge you have on stock market
      3) People are making money while trading, but do you know majority of people actually lose money. Did you analyse why?
      4) Do you have other alternative plan to make money?

I think after that only I can help you. :)

16. deepa says

Hi i am selling ladies salwar suits & Jewelery frm home since I hav 8months baby.,but Iam nt finding much ways to improve to earn better. Please guide me

Hi Deepa,

I think you can use Snapdeal seller program or Flipkart Seller program or even Amazon seller program. Contact all of them ans apply for your own store. I think this is the best way to get more customers without spending any money.
      What do you say. :)

17. Veena says

I want to start an online ecommerce portal for selling handicrafts and home decor items.
    1)How should i go about it?

2)How long it will take to start off?

3)Is it profitable?

4)Tips to start this business

5)Initial investment required to start the business

I also want to start a blog on relationships ?Can i go ahead with it?

Hi Veena,

Selling handicrafts online will be a very good idea. If you have the resource, then you should start this business. If you could start blogging on the same topic, that will help your website grow fast.

Regarding relationship blogging, of course you can start. But remember that this niche is quite crowded with many professional writing. You have to find out a blend of your expertise and gap of this area. Then only you may get success.

18. Manju says

Hi..I would like to start a cookery blog .. Can you please guide me on how to start a cookery blog and also how to get visitors in my blog. Along with that, can you please let me knw how to earn money using a blog? Thanks in advance

19. Sravanthi says

hi if i create a website for cookeries show is there any benefit for me in the form of income please suggest me. How much investment is required to create a site and i will be wait for your suggestion thank you

Hi Sravanthi,

Only by creating a website one can’t earn anything. You h ave to target something. E.g. either third party ads, any product, selling ad space etc.

In this case what is the selling material? If you start a recipe blog then you have to make it unique to generate huge traffic, then only you can make some money showing advertising. Hope I have answered your query.

Feel free to ask me if you have any further doubt, I will try to help you.

20. says

Hi there! I foresee that you will be a great blogger who will imprint on the growing online masses. All the best for your future. Your information is unique and clear. There is no unwavering words that distract readers like me. Way to go! FYI…checkout zopthemes.com and gicree.com marketplaces. You can kick-start your career through these micro job sites. Looking forward to more of your blogs.

21. shweta says

hi shantanu ji, i want to start a property dealing business through the net , would u plz guide me for this fromwhere i can start

Hi Sweta,

Good to hear that you are interested to start your own business. Regarding property business I don’t have much experience, but one thing I can suggest you is start a blog or website with the kind of property you are planning to include in your business.

E.g. You can start a blog with all gated communities in a city with 2 BHK or 3 BHK flat. This way you can build a readership, authority and later on utilize the same as a front face of your business. Online presence is a must in today’s business.

Hope this will be helpful for your start-up. Share your upcoming experience during your investigation. Thanks for reading :)

Hi Rashmi,

I think blogging could be one of the best part-time income option if one is really serious.

1) Choose a niche or topic you are expert. You should have dept knowledge on that topic so that you can write more.
      2) Start a blog with any platform Blogspot or WordPress.
      3) Read more and share your knowledge regular basis.
      4) Do the same for 4-5 months and try to create 25 – 30 or more quality contents.

If you follow these steps, you can create a blog worth reading. Then you can find more traffic and visitors. Earning part may be skipped for the initial month, as the aim should be creating a blog with information worth reading. Later you can use adsense, bid-advertiser, yahoo ad or many other third party ad in your site to earn money.

Hi Ritu,

I am planning to write an article on how to start a craft business from home. Anyway let me tell you that, as per my knowledge it is possible to start with Rs 10 lakh inventory. But I believe you are talking about an online presence only.

Anyway if you want a physical shop business also, make sure that you can have a website for the same to promote your business. And also start learning about blogging and I would recommend you to blog about craft to take your business in next level without spending a money.