If you are a content writer or blogger, then I am sure you will find this list of best laptops for writers 2018 very useful. Even if you have a laptop, you might want to buy a better laptop with higher performance or you want to replace your old laptop with a new one.
But from where should I buy a laptop? is buying laptop online safe? Where can I get the best deals on laptops in India?
To answer your queries, let me help you to choose the best budget laptop for content writers or freelance writers so that you can write better content without compromising with a low-performance laptop.
What kind of Laptops Should You Buy If You Are a Writer or Travel Blogger or Journalists?
I am sure you are aware of the fact that even if some laptop is best for your friend, it may not fit with your need. Yes, when we talk about best laptops for writers, we need to keep in mind few things like
As a writer, a person wants to carry the laptop anywhere. E.g. if you are a travel blogger, then I am sure you would like to write when traveling and in such a scenario a compact, foldable laptop will meet your requirement perfectly.
There are laptops with very high configuration or specific tasks.
E.g. a photographer may need a laptop with higher memory so that he/she can edit pictures using software like Photoshop etc. Similarly, if you are a gamer, you need a very high configured laptop with a graphics card. But for a writer, a fast & high-performance laptop, especially for surfing & writing, is enough.
As a writer may not need very high configuration, that means they can save a good amount of money. In that case better to choose a popular branded laptop from any one of the top laptop selling brands in India.
Things To Understand Before Buying the best laptop for writers online?
Although I have cleared a couple of key points to consider while buying a laptop online when you are a freelance writer or a blogger. But if you are a beginner, I am sure you might be interested to understand the key specifications you must notice before buying a laptop online.
Recommended laptop configuration for writers:
- RAM or random access memory is the most important thing one must consider first. The more the RAM, the better the performance. Make sure you don’t buy a laptop below 4GB RAM.
- Gone are the days when an 80GB hard drive computer looks too big. These days laptops are coming with 1 TB and even more. As you are a writer, I am sure you may not need such high storage, but just try to crack a better laptop deal online where you may get high storage.
- Don’t buy laptops with DOS to save money. Better to start with a genuine Windows 7 or Windows 10 or Mac OS laptop. If you buy a laptop with an operating system installed, it will be cheap compared to buy an OS separately. If you think you can manage a pirated OS and install on a DOS laptop by own then it’s up to you.
- As you can save some money on such laptops. But later on, you may face some Widows genuineness error, software compatibility error etc. I would say strictly NO for a non-technical person.
- Processor: You can choose either AMD or Intel i3 onward. AMD process laptops are very cheap compared to Intel ones. But AMD ones may give you some heating issues. But as a writer, I don’t think this will be a problem. But if you play a high-end game or install heavy software in future, it is better to go with Intel laptops only.
As a writer, I would recommend you to buy a wireless keyboard as it will give good flexibility and comfort while writing. In case your laptop compact, then you may find difficulty in writing using the touch keyboard every time.
The best laptop for writers: the 10 best laptops for authors and journalists
#1. Apple MacBook Air
Apple MacBook Air is another popular Apple laptops in India. These laptops are really amazing in terms of quality, look, finishing and handling. The screen size is 13.3 inch which is simply the perfect one. Not the bigger and not the smaller one.
Although the 8GB RAM will make it the best performance oriented laptop, at the same time a 128 HDD looks very dull with this price range. You have to buy an external HDD with this laptop to store your movies, videos, songs etc. Definitely, for storing regular writing & blogging related staffs, this space is enough.
The best part of Apple MacBook Air is that it has a decent battery back up of up to 12 hours. That means, if you recharge this laptop for 100% and out for the trip, till evening you can use the laptop.
- Display: 13.3 inch
- Processor: Intel Core i5 processor
- RAM: 8 GB
- Hard Disk: 128 GB
- Operating System: Mac OS X
- Graphics: Intel HD 6000 graphic
- Good battery back up
- Sleek design, lightweight
- Fast processor
- Little high price
- Hard disk space is very less
#2. Asus Zenbook UX310UA
Looking for the best sleek design laptop or lightweight laptop for writing? Then check out the Asus Zenbook, which has won many hearts by providing so many features under your budget. This is one of the best laptops for travel bloggers, due to it’s powerful and portable nature.
Asus laptops are very popular for their performance & less weight. This laptop comes with Intel i3 & i5 processor which is good enough for writing. On top of that, it also comes with a graphics card. Although I find the storage space is quite less compared to others.
The screen size of this laptop is under 14 inch. So, if you love a large screen then you may not find this laptop suitable. Overall, this is a quite compact laptop which is perfect for a writer to carry wherever he/she want to travel.
- CPU: Intel Core i3 – i5
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620
- RAM: 8GB
- Screen: 13.3-inch up to QHD+ (3,200 x 1,800)
- Storage: 256GB SSD
- Build & Design wise very attractive
- The fast start and smooth while use
- Best laptop under 14inch screen size
- Battery life is average
- Hard disk size is less
#3. Asus Chromebook Flip
If you are looking for a cheap laptop online, then you must check out the Asus chrome book flip. This is not a windows laptop though, but the best laptop under Rs 30,000 budget. Most of the writers look for low configuration laptop which is easy to carry and Asus Chromebook fits that requirement.
But still, I feel that the storage size is very less. In fact, a mobile phone comes with even more storage space. If you are buying this laptop, then I would recommend you to buy an external hard disk also.
Besides that, if your writing need involves around Google docs, Chrome Browser for research etc then why not save money on a laptop. On top of that, you can flip the laptop and use the touchscreen which is highly handy while traveling.
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4405Y – Intel Core m3-6Y30
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 515
- RAM: 4GB
- Screen: 12.5-inch, FHD (1,920 x 1,080) LED-backlit anti-glare
- Storage: 32GB – 64GB eMMC
- A fabulous touchscreen
- premium build quality
- Value for money
- Tactile keyboard
- Not a windows laptop
- May not suitable for playing games
- Average speakers
- Storage space is very less
#4. Lenovo Yoga Book
Lenovo Yoga is another popular laptop series from Lenovo. This Yoga series is also called as 2-in-1 laptops. As you can use them as la[ptop at the same time fold and use them as a tablet also. This feature gives much more flexibility to a person to wherever he/she want.
The cost of this laptop is under Rs 50,000 which is quite decent accordingly to me (Although for a 10-inch screen laptop it may sound high). This laptop comes with 2 operating system Window 10 for laptop and Android 6 for a tablet. Yes, and you can choose among them as per your usage.
You can take hand-written notes using the capacitive touch keyboard while travelling. That’s the best feature for a write as they cabn easily note down the key points of their next article. But remember that this is a laptop with a 10-inch screen only.
- CPU: Intel Atom x5-Z8550
- Graphics: Intel Atom
- RAM: 4GB
- Screen: 10.1-inch full HD IPS touchscreen
- Storage: 64GB SSD, up to 128GB microSD
- Cheap 2-in-1 laptop
- Extremely thin + light
- Excellent display
- Screen size is very small
- Intel Atom is underpowered
#5. Microsoft Surface Pro 4
When Microsoft enter into this market, they made sure they are launching something unique. That’s why Microsoft Surface Pro 4 has become of the best laptop of 2017. If you want to enjoy both laptop and tablet, then you shoul ddefinitely have a look at Microsoft Surface Pro 4.
With little extra payment with Microsoft Surface Pro 4, you will get the Surface Pen or the fantastic Type Cover keyboard, you can enhance your writing experience to the next level. Easily take notes from here & there for your next article.
So, this brilliant 2-in-1 tablet come laptop is powered by Windows 10, without any doubt. It has a very good camera for rear facing as well as front facing. The best part I like is the RAM, you can go up to 16GB ram which is awesome. At the same time, you can go for maximum hard drive size up to 1 TB. Without any doubt, this is the best laptop with 1 TB hard disk.
- CPU: Intel Core m3 – i7
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 615 – Iris Plus Graphics 640
- RAM: 4GB – 16GB
- Screen: 12.3-inch, 2,736 x 1,824 PixelSense display
- Storage: 128GB – 1TB SSD
- Connectivity: 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Bluetooth 4.1
- Camera: 8MP rear-facing, 5MP front-facing
- Very good quality touch screen
- Awesome performance
- Good battery life
- Keyboard is not mandatory
#6. HP 255 G5
Want to buy a AMD laptop with good performance? Then check out the HP 255 G5. HP is one of the most trusted laptop brand in India. Personally, both my laptops are from HP only and one of them is a very old one. But still working better than a new laptop.
If your budget is tight, but you can’t compromise with the specifications then you must check HP 255 G5. This laptop comes with a solid features like 1 TB hard drive, bigger screen size and 4 GB ram. Although I feel that for a AMD laptop, the RAM can be little higher for better performance & experience.
- CPU: AMD A6-7310
- Graphics: AMD Radeon R4
- RAM: 4GB
- Screen: 15.6-inch, 1366 x 768 pixels
- Storage: 1TB HDD
- Full of high end specifications
- 1 TB hard drive
- 3 year Next business day onsite warranty
- Very affordable price
- RAM can be more
- Low resolution
#7. Acer Chromebook R11
Are you a chromebook lover? Then you will find Acer Chromebook R11 perfect for your writing & blogging need. This is a small screen laptop from Acer. You will easily buy this laptop at a budget of rs 30,000 only. But as I said, this laptop is perfect for writers and surfinga ctivity.
You may not enjoy playing games on this laptop due to small screen sie. Even though Acer chromebook is pre-configured with a Intel HD graphic card, the gaming experience will not be the best. In the similar price range, I found Asus chromebook better compare.
- CPU: Intel Celeron N3150 1.6GHz – Intel Celeron N3160 1.6GHz
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics – Intel HD Graphics 400
- RAM: 2GB – 4GB
- Screen: 11.6-inch 1,366 x 768 HD IPS touchscreen
- Storage: 32GB
- Cheap laptop
- Good battery life
- Small screen
- Not enough hard drive space
#8. Dell Inspiron 5559 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-6200U/8 GB/1 TB/Win 10/AMD Radeon R5 M335 4GB DDR3/without bag), Silver
DELL is one of the most popular name in the laptop category. Their inspiron series is one of the most selling laptops. If your budget is little higher, more than 50,000 but under Rs 75,000 then you must check out Dell Inspiron 5559.
This laptop comes with 4 GB of RAM and 1 TB HDD, which looks very good. But I did not find the battery so good. Although this laptop is perfect for heavy work, but you have to make sure you don’t forget the charger every now & then.
Dell Inspiron 5559 is powered by inter Intel dual-core i5 6th generation processor which is good. But at this price range, I think Apple macBook pro is a far better choice with little extra spending. It has multiple USB ports which will easily connect pen drives, external hard drives, USB memory card readers.
- Display: 15.6 inch
- Processor: Intel Dual Core i5-6200U
- RAM: 8 GB
- Hard Disk: 1 TB
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Graphics: 4 GB
- Battery: 4 hours
- Big display
- Graphics card configuration is very good
- Dual USB 2.0 ports
- Huge space with 1 TB HDD
- Batterycan be improved