Want to start a beauty parlor at home and be your own boss? How much investment one needs to start a beauty salon business by own?
I have received a couple of emails asking for this question from various parts of India E.g. Bangalore, Kerala, Chennai and in fact from Dubai. So, I thought to share my experience while talking to such a guy from my hometown.
Why start a beauty parlor at home
These days everyone including both men and women used to go to a beauty salon or beauty parlor for hair cutting, massage, pedicure, threading, and many other services.
Although there might be a hair cutting boy or barber in your locality, people started liking to spend some time weekly or in 15 days in a sophisticated & well-equipped saloon to get relaxed. But still, women are the major customers of those saloons.
Now a day’s demand of these saloons or beauty parlor is increasing day by day. Many big brands are already operating on a huge scale. Even local business is also doing very good.
This is a flexible and easy to start a business from your home itself, similar to running a home based recruitment consultancy. If you are a little bit trained or a well-trained beautician, then you can start providing these services from your home itself.
Initially, you might start with few customers in your locality or colony itself. Let’s discuss here everything about starting a saloon at home step by step.
Procedure to start a beauty parlor at home
1. First of all, you should be a trained or certified beautician to gain customers faith. Otherwise, you may not get good and regular customers. Decide where you will you arrange these setup. Maybe you can prepare any of your empty or less used room. There you can display your certificate of expertise. For a startup, we are considering you are the only one to manage the whole thing.
2. Next, you have to purchase all the basic equipment s of a beauty parlor For that you have to spend a healthy amount. Few of the equipment s are first aid box, Scissors, combs, hair dryers, cotton wool, bowls, dispensers, disposable gloves, equipment cleaner, sponges, relaxing music, tissues, towels etc. you have to be prepared with that money to spend for your business startup. Don’t spend much but buy all the basic equipment s to support all your services smoothly.
3. To start a beauty parlor at home, initially one might have to invest an amount of 1-2 lakh max as per your services that you are planning to provide. Later when you move your business to a shop then you have to spend more on the establishment and look. But overall the investment to start a beauty parlor is not that much that one have to take some loan.
4. Set up a time for your customers. If you are a homemaker and don’t have anyone else to support your household work, you can choose a time may be after 12:00 pm or in the afternoon time. but try to schedule 3-4 hours of the span for your beauty parlor.
5. You might also provide service by visiting customers home. In that way, you can work beyond your fix timings if you get time. And also this will improve your social presence as well as promote your business.
6. Spread about your beauty parlor locally by giving a simple print advertisement with newspaper. This will not cost you much. You can take those print advertisements and provide to newspaperman to distribute them with newspaperman You might also give advertisement in local cable TV. Repeat the same based on the response. When you start receiving customers, show them your dedication towards your work so that they can be pleased and tell other women near to their home. This is the best advertisement for a home business, especially women concentric service businesses.
7. Don’t try to provide all the services, which may not control in later on. Provide only those few services in which you are 100% confident and expert. Later on, you might hire someone else to help you or based on some specific demand you can hire some expert beautician also.
8. Think about a beautiful name for your beauty parlor and then print some brochure with every details & service include in that for customers. Give this brochure to your entire customer who visited first time to your beauty parlor Initially you don’t have to think too about your beauty parlor registration and other documentation. Try your level best to improve service and number of customers.
When you observe that, your beauty parlor has now gained a serious reputation and also receiving a handsome number of customers daily, then you may take the next step to rent/buy a shop nearby your locality. And then set up your own beauty parlor providing more services from morning 10 AM – 9 PM, whatever timing you want. Then you have to consider all the normal business factors and also have to register your business.